Tuesday 8 January 2019

End of year report

Yes, it's time for the annual look back at a year of sometimes writing, but mainly procrastinating and prevaricating and finding ways to avoid hitting the keyboard.  Say, by updating this blog.  So let's check those targets and see where the arrows lie:

Send a submission a day
Well, the Grinder tells me that I sent 339 submissions out in 2018, so a miss, but a near miss.  I was actually on track until October-ish, when I started living away part of the week to work in London.  This severely curtailed my writing time - but, as I've just said, boy, do I find reasons not to write - but two other factors came into play as well.

Firstly, noticeably fewer markets started to appear on the Grinder late on in 2018; sometimes it seemed a whole week would go by without any being added.  Lower demand means constricted supply.  Secondly, as stories were sold they - obviously - couldn't be sent out again, thus diminishing the stockpile of stories.  That said, I sent nine stories to Clarkesworld this year, albeit a couple were old stories re-engineered; Clarkesworld being the venue to which I send stories first, so it's not as though I wasn't producing content.

Sell three stories
So, what about the stories that sold, that fly in the ointment as far as the first target was concerned (only joking, this is the one that counts).  Well, the Grinder reports 11 acceptances in the year, so a hit:

So, nine or ten real sales, but three reprints (of which one looks like a non-runner), and two are a hundred words or less.  That's about 13,000 words of new material.  Not that impressive.  But add in an honourable mention in L Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future competition, a couple of near misses with Daily Science Fiction, another with Shoreline of Infinity, and stories still held by Galaxy's Edge and James Gunn's Ad Astra, and it's looking like a year to build on.

Sell a novel
A miss.  Baen decided to pass on my YA Harry Potter-meets-Doctor Who (figuratively) novel after being "selected from the slush pile for further examination" for over two years.  Haven't got any remaining irons in the fire; at least, none with any sort of glow.  I guess I need to pick myself up, dust myself off and get back to marketing.

Write a novel
Or, more specifically, finish writing a novel.  Big miss, particularly as the short stuff is meant to help market the bigger pieces - like 2084 - that pay by the sale rather than by the word.  I've taken 'Toefoot', my sci-fi thriller, from 16,300 words to 18,800.  Please don't extrapolate a completion date from that rate if progress...

Publish a novel
I have a novel written thirty years ago, juvenilia, that will never make the cut professionally, but I have ambitions of putting it out as an ebook.  It's written, just needs an edit, a polish, formatting and epublishing.  Have I?  No.  Miss.

Oh, and for regular readers, yes, that's right - I am still awaiting my kill fee from Carrie Cuinn at Lakeside Circus...

#

This year's targets?  Same as last year's, with a recognition of the need to focus on the long pieces, plus to complete my SFWA qualification, which I think I'm about thirty percent of the way to (or, possibly, put negatively, to disqualify myself from Writers of the Future).  A third straight showing in Best of British Science Fiction - or one in Best of British Fantasy - would be nice too, but there's nothing I can do about that any more, those submissions are in.  Watch this space.

page_images/2084-99.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment