Sunday 26 January 2020

Buy signals & bye bye signals

In my look back over 2019 I commented that I had ended up with an unusual number of submissions marked as 'Pending, Held for Consideration' on the Grinder.

Well, how those numbers have fallen.

Some of them I had limited faith in.  Two still cling on - no names, no pack drill - although they fall very much into the category of 'didn't make the cut for this issue, but if there's ever a volume two maybe we'll consider it'.  I doubt there ever will be a volume two, and I've been provided with no certainty even if there is, but their entries remain officially open for the moment. 

Another two submissions were of the same story to the same publisher: Crone Girl Press.  One clearly made it over some hurdles for 'Coppice and Brake' but fell before the finish, the other (which CGP asked, unbidden, to hold for a second volume of 'Stories We Tell After Midnight')... well, maybe there won't be a second volume, or maybe it got trampled on by a weight of better material.  Guess I'll never know.

Also changed to 'Rejection- form', a reprint of My Avatar has an Avatar, which Frozen Wavelets liked, just not enough.  A common enough response.

But, the sixth... well, delighted to say that Daily Science Fiction have taken my tale of an android finding out the meaning of irony the hard way, 'Audit's Abacus'.  First sale of 2020, and it's not the only buy signal that I've had so far - but I'm hardly going to jinx matters by telling you, am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment